Sunday, July 13, 2008

Be Remarkable

I recently visited Wayne Toshikazu's blog. If you have never visited it; you should. I loved his blog entry dated July 8th, 2008. With his permission I thought I should repost here to share with everyone because what he wrote is so inspirational. Wow, the very reason I am writing this blog now. I love what I do with a passion! Wayne; You, Mary and Little Jonas are remarkable!

Entry from Wayne's Blog:
That’s what I’m going to tell my son Jonas - incessantly, obsessively - from the day he’s born until the day I die. Because really, what else are we to do with our time here?
“In everything you do, be remarkable.”
Saturday morning I had a really nice chat with a bride-to-be and potential client. We talked about the usual stuff concerning her wedding, how she and her fiancé met and what sorts of expectations she had about her photography. Somewhere in the midst of all that though we also talked a lot about me.
People often ask how I got into photography and, especially because I’m in the nascent stages of my business, where I plan to go with it. I love these sorts of questions, especially when they come from a bride-to-be, because it gives me the chance to talk about one of the few things I’m truly passionate about in life. And when the listener is a potential client it’s important that I get a chance to show that side of myself, because when you put your hard earned money down you’re getting a packaged deal: not only do you get the pictures but you get me as well.
When I first made that decision to begin the chase of a lifetime, I did so because for me I saw a path to freedom. Freedom to do what I love, freedom to live a more joyful life, freedom to be a better person because I would be a happier person. Ultimately, I began the chase for freedom to be me - unadulterated, without all the fluff, just pure me. And the more true to myself I am, the better it is for my wife, the better it is for my soon-to-be child, and the better it is for my friends and family around me. Everyone wins, you see.
But today I just realized something else about why I’m doing this. I’m doing this to be remarkable - to create images and a client experience that, when all is said and done, are worth remarking about. I want to use my time and talents to be extraordinary - to do extraordinary things for extraordinary people.
A couple weeks ago in an exchange of emails my first client ever (I did an engagement session for her and her fiancĂ© in April) said something about my work and her experience with me that absolutely blew me away. It was really one of the nicest things I’d ever heard, so nice in fact that I’d be embarrassed to post it here because I really feel like those words far exceed my talent. But the feeling that you get knowing that you’ve made someone so happy just by doing something you love and would be doing anyway, that for at least that one person you’ve done something remarkable - incredible! Few feelings in the world can beat it. Thank you, Chelsee! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate everything you said.
So there you have it. Here’s just one more reason to add to why it is I do what I do: It’s the freedom to be remarkable.